Don't ask me why this dish is called as bandhu dal. I really don't know and I don't care. For this dal tasted out of this world. I got this Uttarakhand recipe from Taranga (kannada weekly). This dal is an exotic mixture of urad dal and rajma, which is then cooked in onion and tomato base to a creamy consistency. Bandhu dal makes a very healthy, and tasty accompaniment for rice or rotis. Try this and I'm sure like me, you will be floored as well.
Bandhu dal recipe:
Preparation time: 20min+ soaking time
Cooking time: 15 mns
Urad dal- 1/2 cup
Rajma- 1/2 cup, soaked overnight and drained
Onion- 1 med, chopped fine
Tomato- 2, chopped fine
Green chilli- 1
Ginger-garlic paste- 1-2tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/2tsp
Turmeric/ Haldi- 1/4tsp
Coriander seed powder- 1/2 tspn
Garam masala powder- 1/4 tspn
Jeera/ cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Kasoori methi- 1tsp
Salt- to taste
Coriander leaves- to garnish
Cream or butter to garnish
- Pressure cook urad dal and the rajma for 5-6 whistles or till done
- Heal oil in a wok and add the jeera seeds
- Once it sputters add the onion and saute till pink.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 mins more
- Add the chopped tomato and fry for some more time.
- Add the turmeric, salt, red chilli powder, green chilli, sugar and fry for 3-4 mins more
- Add the coriander seed powder, kasoori methi, and the cooked dal and mix.
- Add some water and garam masala and bring the mixture to a boil and take off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, and butter and serve hot with rice or rotis.
This dish is my entry for Aipi's book marked recipes