This recipe is very close to my heart for two reasons. One- it was the one of the first north Indian recipes I learnt after marriage. Two- My husband was very impressed after he had tasted the pulao. :) This recipe uses very few ingredients and yet brings out the flavor of the rice beautifully. The tart sweetness of the vegetables combined with the mild aroma of the spices makes this pulao a comforting one dish meal.
Vegetable Pulao recipe:
Preparation time: 20mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Basmati rice- 2cups. Washed and soaked for 30mins
Mixed vegetables like carrot, beans, peas, cauliflower- 11/2 cup chopped
Capsicum- 1med- cut into strips
Onion- 1 big, cut into strips
Ginger garlic paste- 11/2 tspn
Green chilli-2 slit
Garam Masala- 1/4 tspn
Salt to taste
Lime juice of 1/4 to 1/2 a lemon
Coriander to garnish.
For the masala powder:
Pepper corn- 4-5
- Heat oil ina pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds and bay leaves
- Once the seeds sputter add the masala powder and stir.
- Add the onion and fry till the onions turn pink.
- Add the ginger- Garlic paste and the green chillies and stir for a min more.
- Add the chopped vegetables and saute till the vegetables are soft.
- Drain and add the rice and stir gently for a min.
- Add the garam masala and salt and stir for a min more.
- Add 31/4 cups of water and allow the water to boil.
- Once the water is boiled well, cover the cooker and place the weight.
- Cook for 10-15 mins on a low flame and take off the fire.
- Allow the cooker to cool by itself (15mins) and then unlock the cooker.
- Heat ghee in a separate pan. Add the capsicum strips and and sauté for 2 mins.
- Add the fried capsicum, lime juice, coriander and mix.
- Check for salt and serve hot with curds or raita.