Vangi bhat powder aka palyada pudi is an indispensable spice mix in my kitchen. This powder is so versatile that it can be used in curries, dals, as stuffings etc. For me this powder is a real life saver when I am pressed for time.
The recipe for Vangi Bhat powder uses a combination of lentils , spices, red chillies, and dry coconut. The lentils and spices are roasted on low fire till all the flavors are released and then ground to a coarse powder. This unique blend of spices is aromatic, healthy and easy to make. All in all a wholesome spice mix.
Vangi bhat powder recipe:
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time:20 mins
shelf life- 3months
Channa dal=1 cup
Urad dal- 1 cup
Coriander seeds- 1/2 cup
Kashmiri Red chillies- 10-15
Dry coconut grated-3/4th cup
- Heat1tsp of oil in a wok and fry the cinnamon and cloves for a min and keep aside.
- In the same wok, add the channa dal, urad dal and coriander seeds and roast till the dals are brown and their aromas are released. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat another tsp of oil in the same wok and add the torn red chillies and fry till the chillies are crisp. Remove from fire and cool.
- Roast the coconut for 1/2 min and keep aside.
- Mix the dals, coriander seeds, red chillies, cinnamon and cloves and roast for another min. Remove from the fire and cool.
- Grind the roasted mixture first. Then add the coconut and grind to a coarse powder.
- Store in an air tight container.