Tumbida Badanekayi aka stuffed egg plant curry is my mother's signature recipe. There are several recipes for this curry but this recipe is very easy to prepare if the Vangi bhat powder or palyada pudi is handy.The infusion of the poppy seeds in the curry lends the emulsion and a mild sweet flavour to the curry. This version of stuffed egg-plant has a robust and spicy flavour. But at the same time, it is very soothing to the palate.
Tumbida badanekayi recipe:
Preparation time- 15 mins
Cooking time- 15 mins
Fresh and tender egg-plants- 8-10
Vangi bhat powder or palyada pudi- 3-4 tbspn
Poppy seeds- 1 tbsp, roasted and powdered (optional)
Salt to taste
- Wash the egg plants, wipe them dry and keep aside
- Mix the Vangi baht powder along with poppy seed powder and salt and keep it aside.
- Chop off the stem and make two perpendicular slits ( plus mark) on the egg plant and stuff the egg plant with the stuffing mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan and place all the stuffed egg plants one by one in the pan.
- Sprinke the remaining stuffing mixture on the egg plants and add some water.
- Cover the pan with a plate containing water and cook for 10-15 mons till done.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.