Hasi gooju means, raw stew. is normally prepared with cucumber, tamarind and jaggery. This dish has two versions. I will be posting the second version soon. I love this recipe because it uses very simple ingredients and is a breeze to prepare. So here goes the recipe.
Southekayi Hasi gojju recipe:
Cooking and preparation time:20mins
Cucumber- 1 big or 2 small, peeled and chopped fine
Tamarind- Lime sized
Jaggery- Lime sized or to taste
Coconut- 3-4 tbsp
Salt to taste
Channa dal- 2tbsps
Fenugreek or methi seeds- 1/4 tspn
Red chillies- 3
Hing- a pinch
Curry leaves- 1sprig
- For the powder, heat oil in a pan and add the jeera and methi seeds.
- Once they pop, add the channa dal and saute till the dal turns brown.
- Add the red chillies and saute for one more min. Take of from the heat and cool.
- Once cooled, greind the mixture to a fine powder.
- Add coconut, Tamarind pulp, Jaggery and salt to the powder and grind to a fine paste.
- Add the ground mixture to the chopped cucumber and mix. DO NOT ADD any water as the cucumber will give out water.
- For the seasoning, Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard.
- Once it sputters, Add the curry leaves and hing.
- Add the seasoning to the gojju. Check for salt and serve with rice or rotis.