Sakkare Holige aka Sugar filled flat bread is a delicacy that is prepared during the festival of Varamahalakshmi. This sweet, crisp, melt in the mouth bread is so good that even my 14 month old daughter liked it. This holige or poli is surely the food of the Gods. Which with little effort can be yours as well.
The step by step pictures for this recipe can be found here. I could only take this one picture due to some time constraints. I promise to post more pictures of this sweet the next time I make it. I guess that would be during the next Varamahalakshmi. :)
Sakkare Holige Recipe:
Preparation time: 20 mins+ Soaking time
Cooking time 20 mins
Makes: 10 Holiges
For the Covering:
Maida- 1 cup+ 2 tbspns to dust
Chiroti rawa/ Fine Semolina- 1 Cup
Salt- 1/2 tspn
Ghee/ Dalda- 2 tbsp
For the Stuffing:
Powdered Sugar-11/4 cup
Grated dry coconut- a little more than 1/2 cup
Elaichi or cardamom- 1 tsp
Poppy seeds- 1 tbsp
Ghee to mix the filling ingredients
Aluminium foil to roll the dough
- For the filling, Mix the maida, chiroti rawa and salt and mix well. Slowly add water and mix to form a soft dough.
- Add the ghee and mix for some more time. Cover the dough with a wet cloth and keep it aside fo an hour.
- For the Stuffing, Mix sugar, coconut, elaichi, and poppy seeds along with some ghee and mix well. Add more ghee and knead the mixture till a soft and firm dough is formed.
- Divide the filling as well as the covering dough it equal sized balls and keep as ide.
- Take one portion of the rawa-maida dough and slightly press it. Place the ball of the "sugar filling" and draw the edges of the dough from all sides to cover the filling mixture completely.and gently roll
- Place a sheet of aluminium foil on a the rolling board. Using the maida to dust, gently roll each ball to a 4" to 6" diameter holige/poli
- Rub some maida on the poli and Shallow fry the holige on a tawa or a girdle on a low flame. Rubbing maida on the holige will ensure that sugar does'nt melt while roasting.Smear some ghee when done and serve warm.