I am back with a recipe for pizza this time. But this recipe is not for a pizza that is made with refined flour and a sauce that is high in sodium. This pizza breaks all rules by using whole wheat pita bread for the base and hummus for the spread. In short, this recipe is just perfect for a light summer meal.
This mediterranean Pizza is a fun way to enjoy new flavors. If you have some Pita bread and hummus stocked, then this Pizza can be put together in minutes.
After making this pizza, I have become a huge fan of mediterranean flavors. Combining hummus with the sweet bell peppers, olives, sun dried tomatoes and tangy feta cheese creates a wholesome mix of colors and flavors.
This is one of those recipes that is kid friendly. My Pizza obsessed Purvi tasted this and said it was the best Pizza she had ever tasted. The only sinful ingredient in this pizza is the mozzarella cheese. Other than that, the pizza is really nutritious and delicious!!
Mediterranean Pizza recipe:
Preparation time: 30min
Baking time: 10mins
6"Pita breads- 4
Olive oil to brush the Pita breads
Hummus- 3/4 cup
Sliced yellow, red and green bell pepper- 1 cup
Sliced Olives- 1/4cup
Sun dried tomato- 1/4 cup
Feta cheese- 100gms
Mozzarella cheese- 100gms
Salt and pepper to taste
Chili flakes and dried Oregano
- Brush the Pita loaves with some olive oil and toast them in the oven till they are warm.
- Remove and spread 1-1/2 to 2tbsp of hummus evenly on each bread.
- Scatter the sliced bell peppers, olives, sundries tomatoes all over. Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the vegetables.
- Mix both kinds of cheese and spread evenly over each loaf.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C and Bake the prepared pizzas for 4-5 mins or till the cheese melts.
- Cut the pizza into wedges and serve with chili flakes and herbs.